Missing IronPython reference after integrated install with VS2008 Pro

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM
I've installed the current IronPython Studio (integrated) on a machine with VS2008 Professional installed.  Opening Visual Studio shows the IronPython project templates.  When I create an IronPython console application, in the references it lists "IronPython" as missing.  I was under the impression that IronPython was included with the install.  In fact, the IronPython console window appears and runs fine.  IronPython 1.1 is in my program files directory (don't remember if I had it there already, since I've used IronPython before).

Examining the project file just shows a bare "IronPython" reference without a file path.  Since I'm not well versed in Visual Studio, I assume VS is supposed to already have a named reference to it elsewhere, I don't know where, but obviously that is missing.

I did not install the VS integrated redistributable beforehand.  I went back and downloaded it, did the install, then uninstalled and reinstalled IronPython Studio, still no luck.  I noticed others had to find an exe after the VS (standalone as opposed to integraged) install and run that, which I haven't been able to do for the integrated redistributable since I can't find where it was installed.  I'm appealing for help rather than continuing to chase this down.

Thanks,

Ted
Apr 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM
I was able to locate IronPython.dll and IronMath.dll in the directory:

c:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies

and add them to the global assembly cache from the visual studio command prompt with the command:

gacutil -i <filename>

This appears to have resolved the missing reference.  At least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I was able to build and run the sample "Hello VSX!".

Ted
Apr 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM
After this I was unable to save a new IronPython project.  Ack!

Fortunately, I found the solution at this link:

http://vsx-insider.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-custom-project-can-be-saved.html

Evidently it's a Visual Studio issue with saving custom projects.

Ted