Recommending: Do Not Use IronPython Studio

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

With the advent of IronPython 2.6 just around the corner, I'd recommend that you do NOT use IronPython studio for IronPython develoment.  Even if your fingers are welded to Visual Studio keystrokes, the time you'll spend learning Eclipse is less than the time you'll waste trying to fix the screwups that Studio puts in your code.

Every time I've used IronPython Studio, my code becomes a mess of "4-spaces" and "tabs" intermingled with one another.  For some automatic operations (eg method definitions inside of classes), IPyStudio inserts Tabs before each definition.  For others, it's spaces.

With IPy 202 and 26, debugging is just plain broken.  For some reason the debugger executes each executable line in sequence, completely ignoring function calls, classes, and whatnot.  It also can't view variables that are clearly in scope.

Hopefully when IPy 2.6 is out as a release, it will have the things needed to debug inside of Eclipse.  Eclipse is almost there... and it's handling of the Python language is far better than that of Visual Studio.

Perhaps the maintainers of IPy studio can be convinced to update the project.  The last contact I had with him, he noted that it was a Microsoft sponsored project and they did not intend to do any work on the project after its 1.0 release.

Cheers,

-JC

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Seconded here - I've just wasted a day trying to get this working.

I'm guessing that changes in .NET and VS2008 SP1 mean that you would have to assemble all the legacy packages together in order to get it up and running properly again, or update and rebuild the application, which I'm afraid is the end for me, given that I'm not going to fork out for VS2008 just to do that.

I'm going to try SharpDevelop, or perhaps go to Eclipse instead. It's a real pity.

Ben

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Cannot run IronPython Studion on Vista - throws an error about a broken uri on trying to create a new project. 

Does Eclipse support IronPython debudding? What about the integration of another features of the language?