Getting a project to compile

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This question makes me feel really silly, but it is incredibly frustrating.  I have installed both IronPython and IronStudio [the VS 2008 Studio Shell] on a 64 bit Windows 7 box.  I installed these programs to learn Python and to see how the language could be used in a VS environment.

I have a lot of prior experience with Visual Studio in both VB and VC# [from the old compiled Quick Basic [!] up to VS 2005] and have never had any problems compiling a project.

The entire installation appears to have gone well, VS comes up with the standard set of Windows and the code editor and forms designer appears to work.  I also got ipy.exe, ipyw, ipy64.exe, and ipyw64.exe working.

I can use both ipy64 in interactive mode and to run a saved py script.

However, I tried to make my own "Hello World" application by putting up one form with a label that says "Hello World".  The only thing I did was to color the background of the form, the labelbox and the font using the properties window.  I set the form as the startup location in the Project properties.  Then I ran the build and got an exe.  No errors. 

When I try to run the created exe, nothing at all happens.

So then I tried running form.py as a script against the ipyw64.exe program.  Again nothing happens. 

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong.  This must be a simple lack of understanding.

Thanks.